Friday, June 21, 2013

Deer with Fawn

For the last few weeks I had not seen many deer around Another World Bed and Breakfast.  The Finger Lakes, Canandaigua and Naples typically have an abundance of white tailed deer.  There is a herd of seven that usually hangs out around the inn.  Then, this past week, I saw a deer feeding on the hillside in the back yard around 7 o'clock in the morning.  She looked quite thin and was eating up a storm.  Around 11 o'clock I looked out a window in the sun room and this same doe was grazing about 12 feet away.  Then, out of the woods came a tiny fawn and it started to nurse.  This doe obviously was eating for two.  I moved to get the camera to capture this wonderful scene, but my motion scared them off and back into the woods.  This moment, however fleeting, was certainly priceless.